AREA 3 COMPOSITION CONTEST FOR 2024 YOUTH HANDBELL FESTIVAL
- An original composition, not based on any other tune, whether public domain or not.
- Suitable for massed ringing for Handbell Festivals (premiered in October 2024).
- Two compatible handbell scores of a single piece in 2-3 and 3-5+ octave versions.
- Level 1+ or 2 for 2-3 octave versions and a Level 3 for 3-5+ octave versions.
- Optional percussion instrument(s) and/or 2-5+ octaves of chimes.
- Performance time between two (2) to four (4) minutes.
- Upbeat in nature.
Deadline: March 1, 2023
ONLY ORIGINAL, UNPUBLISHED WORKS MAY BE SUBMITTED. Entries may not be under consideration for any other contest or publisher while being considered by Area 3.
Failure to observe this clause will result in immediate forfeiture of any prizes awarded.
- Please use the HMA/AGEHR Handbell Notation and Grading System as a reference guide for all compositional notations.
- Composers may enter as many manuscripts as they wish, but each is to be sent under a separate cover.
- To enter, send a PDF file and MP3 Audio of the piece. The manuscript of the piece should include title, level, bells/chimes used chart(s), optional instrument, and duration. DO NOT INCLUDE THE COMPOSER’S NAME ON ANY PAGE OF THE MANUSCRIPT. Prepare a cover letter, separate from the manuscript, containing title, intended playing time, composer’s name, snail mail address, email address, and a telephone number. (If a sacred work, include an alternate secular title.)
- Decision of the judges is final. Area 3 reserves the right to select entries that, in its sole judgment, are suitable for its festivals’ purpose. Area 3 reserves the right not to award a prize if entries are not deemed suitable for our purposes.
- Area 3 reserves first performance rights. A winning composition may not be used in any service, concert, or festival, prior to the premier at the Area 3 Youth Handbell Festival in November of 2024.
- Area 3 will request a suitable dedication line when the composition is published. Area 3 reserves the right to be the sole dedicatee.
- Area 3 adheres to copyright laws. Copyright obligations and adherence to copyright laws is expected of all composers.
- ENTRIES MUST BE POSTMARKED / EMAIL- STAMPED BY 11:59PM MARCH 1. 2023.
Send to: Lynn Bogovich, 914 Heatherfield Ln, Millersville, MD 21108 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact Lynn Bogovich at (410) 991-3693 or email@example.com